The next USATF-NR RW Grand Prix event – and the grand finale of the 2017 season — is the 10000m CT Association Championship on Sunday, November 5th. Held at Peters Recreational Complex Track in Clinton, CT, there will be a 1 Mile Fun Walk starting at 9:30 a.m. followed by the main event at 10 a.m.
Staffed with a full complement of judges (special thanks to Jean Tenan and Shawn and Debbie Frederick), this event should be on the radar of any Juniors interested in getting an early National qualifying time. Come on down!
As is in past years, Maryanne and Ron will host a pot luck at their home after the event. Good food and conversation conveniently located; they live around the corner from the track.
If you intend to race, please send Maryanne and Ron a quick email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Race application attached. No post-entry fee.
2017 USATF CT 10000m RaceWalk application
Pepperell Rail Trail 8k
Sunday, September 17, 2017
Weather: Sunny, low 70’s, humid
1. Bob Keating 50:50
2. Brian Savilonis 53:58
3. Charlie Mansbach 59:52
Thank you, Bill and Joanne Harriman, for hosting the race and post-race pot luck!
Below is an updated list of race walking events in New England for the year 2017. The Grand Prix races have the asterisk (*). Prior to traveling to the event, always verify the date and time with the event website or director.
Sep 09 Sat
USATF Junior 20 km Race Walk, Open and Masters 40 km Championships, Owego, NY http://www.usatf.org/Events—Calendar/2017/USATF-Junior-20-km-Race-Walk-Championships.aspx
Sep 17 Sun
*Pepperell Rail Trail 8K/4K, Pepperell, MA, 10 a.m. start (rain or shine!)
Oct 22 Sun
USATF Open and Masters 30 km Race Walk Championships, Hauppauge, NY http://www.usatf.org/Events—Calendar/2017/USA-30-km-Race-Walk-Championships.aspx
Nov 05 Sun
*10000m CT Association Championship, Peters Recreational Complex Track, Clinton, CT, 10 a.m.
Dec 16 Sat (tentative date)
*USATF New England Indoor 1 Mile Walk Championship (Tom Knatt One Mile Walk), M.I.T, Cambridge, MA, 12:00 p. m.
Dec 30 Sat
USATF Indoor 5,000m Race Walk Championships, Rochester, NY http://www.usatf.org/Events—Calendar/2017/USATF-Indoor-5-km-Race-Walk-Championships.aspx
USATF New England Open & Masters Championships
College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, MA
Saturday, July 29, 2017
Weather: Low 70’s, overcast, breezy
Mixed 3000 Meter Race Walk
1. Yvan Bechard M55 Canada 14:38.15 (CAN M50 Record)
2. Edward O’Rourke II M55 New England Walkers 16:00.03
3. Stephen Peckiconis M58 Cambridge Sports Union 18:41.74
4. Valentina Vaitones W20 New England Walkers 20:01.04 (1st Women)
5. Brian Savilonis M67 New England Walkers 20:07.40
6. Morgan Bell W14 Haverhill Elite 20:58.65 (2nd Women)
7. Charles Mansbach M72 New England Walkers 21:37.72
8. Gustave Davis M79 Connecticut Racewalkers 24:15.14
Judges: Rich McElvery, Ed Vaitones, Tom Knatt, Steve Vaitones
2017 Bay State Games
Fitchburg State University, Fitchburg, MA
Saturday, July 15, 2017
Weather: Overcast, 65-degrees, humid
Mixed 3000 Meter Race Walk
1. O’Rourke, Ed M55 Groton, MA 15:59.33
2. Peckiconis, Stephen M58 Roslindale, MA 18:36.63
3. Savilonis, Brian M67 Princeton, MA 18:58.06
4. Mansbach, Charles M72 Waban, MA 21:15.46
USATF Region I Track & Field Championships
Fitchburg State University, Fitchburg MA
Saturday, July 8, 2017
Weather: Partly cloudy, 80 degrees, humid
1500 Meter Race Walk
1. Thomas, Brenna Waltham Track 9:04.70 (1st 9-10 Girls)
2. Bush, Sarah Unattached 9:30.40 (1st 11-12 Girls)
3. McDonald, Rowan Unattached 9:34.00 (1st 9-10 Boys)
4. Schretzenmeyer, El Danbury Flyers 9:50.30 (2nd 11-12 Girls)
5. Coisman, Max Danbury Flyers 10:12.60 (1st 11-12 Boys)
6. Wiltshire, Katie Five Points 10:45.40 (3rd 11-12 Girls)
7. Johnson, Aaron Clcf Panther 11:43.80 (2nd 9-10 Boys)
8. Ehler, Taylor Waltham Track 12:02.40 (2nd 9-10 Girls)
9. Piwowar, Alexander Nitehawks Sports 12:36.00 (2nd 11-12 Boys)
10. Trefts, Adeleine Unattached 14:17.40 (3rd 9-10 Girls)
— Coonradt, Lucas Unattached DQ (9-10 Boys)
3000 Meter Race Walk
1. Allen, Nolan Unattached 16:00.77 (1st 17-18 Men)
2. Grover, Jessica Unattached 16:42.78 (1st 15-16 Girls)
3. Thomas, Michael Waltham Track 16:46.90 (1st 13-14 Boys)
4. Caira, Alessia Waltham Track 16:50.67 (2nd 15-16 Girls)
5. Trefts, Izabelle Unattached 18:15.34 (1st 13-14 Girls)
6. Ormsby, Jodi-kay Vo2max Track 19:32.34 (2nd 13-14 Girls)
7. Jarosz, Braden Unattached 19:38.98 (1st 15-16 Boys)
8. Schonenberg, Gilli In Motion 19:44.62 (3rd 13-14 Girls)
9. Smith, Morris Waltham Track 20:08.65 (2nd 13-14 Boys)
10. Bell, Morgan Haverhill Elite 20:41.16 (4th 13-14 Girls)
11. Rivera, Eliana New Fairfield 21:02.18 (5th 13-14 Girls)
Judges: Ed Vaitones, Rich McElvery, Steve Vaitones
2017 USATF-NE Junior Olympic Track & Field Championships
Saturday, June 17, 2017
Fitchburg State University, Fitchburg MA
Weather: Overcast, humid, mid-60 degrees
1500m Race Walk
1. Allen, Nolan Unattached 7:23.22 (1st 17-18 Men)
2. Caira, Alessia Waltham Track 7:52.51 (1st 15-16 Girls)
3. Thomas, Michael Waltham Track 8:05.48 (1st 13-14 Boys)
4. Thomas, Brenna Waltham Track 9:05.41 (1st 9-10 Girls)
5. Bell, Morgan Haverhill El 9:06.42 (1st 13-14 Girls)
6. Smith, Morris Waltham Track 9:25.49 (2nd 13-14 Boys)
7. Poynter, Annabel Town Track 11:01.45 (1st 11-12 Girls)
8. Ehler, Taylor Waltham Track 11:06.71 (2nd 9-10 Girls)
9. Piwowar, Alexander Nitehawks Sports 11:40.93 (1st 11-12 Boys)
10. Johnson, Aaron CLCF Panthers 12:26.27 (1st 9-10 Boys)
11. Powers, Olivia Town Track 12:30.58 (2nd 11-12 Girls)
12. Nyhan, Luke Town Track 15:20.89 (2nd 9-10 Boys)
Last weekend, New England Walkers Ed O’Rourke, Val Vaitones, and Meagan and Nolan Allen competed at the USATF 5k Race Walk Championships in Albany, New York. Although NEW fell short of the required number of entrants to compete in the team category, they brought home some medals regardless!
In the men’s race, NEW president Ed O’Rourke received a silver medal in the M55 category, with a placing of 6th overall. Family duo Maegan and Nolan Allen both claimed National Junior (age 19 & under) titles. Maegan was 5th overall in the women’s race.
Great show Ed, Maegan, Nolan, and Val!
Results can be found at: http://www.usatf.org/Events—Calendar/2017/USATF-5-km-Race-Walk-Championships/Results.aspx
2017 Seacoast Racewalks
Portsmouth High School
Sunday, May 21, 2017
Weather: Sunny, 61 degrees
Kayla Allen (ME) 14:52.1 *
Valentina Vaitones (MA) 18:54.3
Stephan Mayeux (NH) 32:15.5
Brian Savilonis (MA) 32:33.6
Bill Harriman (MA) 35:34.1
Peter Malinowski (MA) DQ
Spencer Dunn (ME) 54:17.2
* Kayla also beat the current Maine HS 1500m record with an interim time of 7:09.8.
Thanks to the chief timer, Justin Kuo, and judges Tom Menendez and Rich McElvery. Thanks also to volunteers Anita Bailey, Carolyn Fetter, Chris Mayeux, Joanne Harriman, and Pam Faltin. And a special thank you to sponsors Seacoast Dreams Dentistry and Runner’s Alley in Portsmouth, NH.
May 14th, Portsmouth NH
The Seacoast Racewalks, scheduled for the Sunday, May 14th in Portsmouth NH has been postponed due to the forecast for heavy rain and high winds. The meet has been, tentatively rescheduled for Sunday, May 21st at the same location.